Hot Cocoa Bombs are all over the place lately. While they can be pricey to purchase, you can DIY them for a fraction of the cost.
We flavored ours with crushed peppermint, but you can mix up the flavors and mix-ins to find the style and taste that matches you. Adding spices (pumpkin spice, cinnamon, etc.) will change up the flavor profile. Or you can add flavored or colored marshmallows or sprinkles to give your cup a colorful twist.
To add even more fun flair, you can rim your mug with chocolate as we did. To mix it up, you can swap the crushed peppermint for sprinkles, colored sugar, or crushed cookie crumbs.
DIY Peppermint Hot Cocoa Bombs + Peppermint Rimmed Mugs
Makes 3 Cocoa Bombs and Rimmed Mugs
Chocolate Peppermint Rimmed Mug
- 3 ceramic mugs
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermints
- On a small microwave-safe plate, melt chocolate in 30-second increments in the microwave until completely melted.
- On a separate small plate, place crushed peppermints.
- Press mug rim onto melted chocolate, covering the entire circumference of the edge.
- Roll mug rim with chocolate on the plate with crushed peppermints to attach to rim
- 2″ diameter spherical mold
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/8 cup crushed peppermints
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 cups of piping hot milk
- Melt 3/4 cup of milk chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments until melted
- Spoon a tablespoon of chocolate in each mold.
- Using the spoon’s back, spread the chocolate up all sides of the mold, making sure it reaches the mold’s top.
- Freeze for 15 minutes or refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Carefully remove chocolate from mold.
- Taking one 1/2 of the sphere, place it, hollow side down, on a warmed ceramic until the edges of the sphere half begin to melt.
- Fill with 1 tablespoon of hot chocolate mix, 5 mini marshmallows, and 1-2 teaspoons of crushed peppermint
- Quickly work to place a second sphere half on a plate to melt the edges slightly and place on top of the filled half.
- Using the back of a slightly warmed metal spoon, smooth the chocolate’s seam, making sure that there are no holes.
- Place back in refrigerator or freezer for 5 additional minutes to finish setting.
- When ready to enjoy, place the cocoa bomb in 10 ounces of piping hot milk, enjoy the show, and use a spoon to mix up up the chocolate and marshmallows for your cozy cup.