Move over traditional mozzarella sticks, because our upgraded mozzarella sticks will have you wanting more. The secret ingredient? Chips! Whether it’s Doritos or Cheetos, you can have a lot of fun with creating these homemade bites.
You can use mozzarella string cheese or fresh mozzarella, cut into sticks. We recommend using fresh mozzarella if possible because the coating will stick better, but you can always substitute with string cheese if that’s what is easily accessible to you.
When it comes to the coatings, our favorites to use are nacho cheese and cool ranch flavored Doritos as well as Cheetos. It’s the perfect appetizer or snack to make for family and friends, so having versatility in flavors will please everyone’s palates!
CHIP-CRUSTED MOZZARELLA STICKS
- 1 1/2 cup crushed cool ranch flavored Doritos, crushed
- 1 1/2 cup crushed nacho cheese flavored Doritos, crushed
- 1 1/ 2 cup crushed Cheetos, crushed
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 24 mozzarella string cheese sticks or 24 ounces of fresh mozzarella, cut into sticks
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- In a bowl, add the eggs and cornstarch. Whisk until mixed well.
- Crush the chips in separate batches in a food processor or small chopper. Chips can also be crushed by hand in a Ziploc bag. Spread the crushed chips onto 3 separate small plates.
- If using fresh mozzarella, cut it into stick-like pieces.
- Separate the mozzarella sticks into 3 groups, one for each of the chip flavors. Dip the mozzarella sticks into the egg mixture and then roll them in the crushed chips varieties. Fully coat the sticks and set aside. Repeat this step until all the mozzarella sticks are fully coated.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on high. Once heated, fry the mozzarella sticks for about a minute and remove.
- Serve with dip of choice.