Looking for something fun to do with the kids? Let them explore their inner bakery artist with a DIY Cupcake Decorating Kit. These kits can easily be made with what you have around the house and are hours of fun. The best part, a sweet reward at the end!
Cupcakes Made Easy
We know it’s challenging lately to get groceries and baked goods. Here are our tips for creating bakery-quality cupcakes at home.
Box Cake Mix Hacks
If you have a box cake mix at home, you can use it in a pinch instead of making cupcakes from scratch and elevate it by swapping out the water for milk or buttermilk (because buttermilk is so thick, be sure to add slightly more than you would water so the batter stays the same consistency). Each will make the cupcakes even more delicious and taste just like they came from the bakery.
Why settle when you can make delicious frosting with what you have in your kitchen? Homemade frosting can be frozen for up to three months in an airtight container or stored in the fridge for up to one week. If freezing, make sure to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before frosting cupcakes.
To color frosting, start off with one or two drops (you can always add more to darken the color, but can’t go back) and gradually increase by one drop to get your desired color. Specialty colors can be purchased online or at craft stores.
- 1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream (can also use heavy whipping cream or milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- Optional: three food coloring hues of your choice
- Using a stand or hand-held mixer, beat butter on low speed until smooth.
- Gradually add confectioners sugar on low speed until incorporated.
- Add in heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt on medium speed until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl as needed. If frosting is too thin, you can add additional confectioners sugar, if to thick, you can add additional cream.
- Optional: add food coloring to get desired color
DIY Cupcake Decorating Kits
You will need:
- 3 gallon-size freezer bags
- 3 feet of duct tape (can also use packing tape or masking tape)
- 1 pint glass
- 3 colors of frosting
- 3 twist ties or rubber bands or binder clips
- 12 unfrosted cupcakes
- Mix of sprinkles and other cupcake toppings
Note: If you already have reusable or disposable piping bags, you can skip this step. If you need to make your own piping bags, use the following directions.
- Fold one bottom corner of the gallon-size freezer bag across the bag and use tape to secure. Repeat for the remaining two bags.
- Place bag in pint glass, or other tall/wide container and fill with frosting.
- Twist top of piping bag to push frosting down in the bag as far as you can. Secure with twist tie, rubber band, or binder clip.
- Carefully snip off the end of the piping bag. Be mindful to keep this opening small so you have the most control over the frosting for decorating.
- Get decorating! Use piping bags to frost cupcakes and add sprinkles till your cupcake is Instagram-worthy.
Optional: Get competitive! Have each family member design and submit their favorite cupcake to be judged by their other family members (can be done in-person or virtually). Use this form to tally scores. The winner gets bragging rights and to pick which cupcake they want to eat first.