You don’t have to believe in magic to believe in the magic of moon milk when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep. Sleep is a vital component of a person’s overall health, which is why it’s always advised to get a certain amount of ZZZ’s every night, but sometimes it’s easier said than done. That’s where moon milk comes in.
Moon milk is a warm drink derived from Ayuverdic traditions that is typically made from a mixture of cow’s milk infused with ingredients such as turmeric, chamomile, honey and cinnamon.
What is Ayurveda? It is one of the world’s oldest natural and holistic healing systems that originated in India thousands of years ago.
Get those ZZZ’s by adding moon milk to your nightly routine and drift into dreamland for restful sleep. Milk has substances that are related to sleep regulation: tryptophan and melatonin, which both play a role in our sleep-wake cycle.
Ashwagandha, an ancient part of herbal and ayurvedic medicine for centuries can be purchased as a ground supplement which is commonly used in traditional moon milk recipes. It is also considered to be an adaptogen, which is said to enhance the body’s response to stress.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon spice powder (turmeric, beet, matcha or butterfly pea flower)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- Pinch star anise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Garnishes: lavender, chamomile, marigold, or rose petals
- Supplements: 1/2 teaspoon ashwagandha
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk milk with selected spice powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, anise. Steep for 10 minutes, until flavors fully develop.
- Remove from heat and incorporate honey to serve. Consider garnishing milk with fragrant dried edible flowers for additional aromatherapy.
Note: Traditional moon milk incorporates ashwagandha for stress relief. Please consult your doctor before trying any new supplement.
You can customize moon milk with a variety of flavor combinations to your liking. A few delicious moon milk flavor combinations include:
- Milk + Cinnamon + Honey
- Milk + Chamomile + Agave Nectar
- Milk + Tart Cherry Juice + Vanilla Extract
- Milk + Turmeric + Cinnamon
Add just 10-15 minutes to your nightly routine to help yourself get the good night’s sleep that you and your body needs and deserves.