Many might sometimes get a bit intimidated by the thought of making ice cream from scratch at home because of the machines or tools that are needed. Well, we have news for you! You absolutely don’t have to own an ice cream maker to make ice cream at home. Some of our favorite ice creams to make with just a few simple ingredients and a basic mixer have been no-churn ice cream recipes.
Want to make it even simpler than that? Well that’s where mason jar ice cream comes in! All you need for this are a few basic ingredients. Any additional ingredients are for if you want to get fancy with the flavors, which we have shared along with the recipe below.
We recommend using 8-ounce mason jars because you can make a few different flavors at once for family and friends to enjoy and share. Kids can even join in on the fun of mason jar ice cream making!
HOW TO MAKE MASON JAR ICE CREAM
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
- In an 8-ounce mason jar, add in the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla extract and salt.
- Seal the lid very tightly and shake the jar for about 3 minutes, until the mixture has thickened and increases in size.
- To test the texture, open the lid, dip in a spoon and pull it out. The mixture should coat the back of the spoon.
- Freeze it for 3 hours and then enjoy!
WANT TO CUSTOMIZE IT?
If you want to customize flavors, it is just as simple as making it! All you need to do is add the ingredients from the list below right into the mixture before mixing and freezing it!
COOKIES AND CREAM
- Add 3 crushed Oreo cookies to the mixture before shaking and freezing the mason jar.
MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP
- Add 1/2 teaspoon mint extract and 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips before shaking and freezing the mason jar.
- Add one drop of natural food coloring (green) if desired.
- Add 1/3 cup diced strawberries before shaking and freezing the mason jar.
- Add one drop of natural food coloring (red) if desired.